Sunday, July 17, 2016

Just when I thought poop in my mouth was bad...

Our second day in South Africa was to be spent on safari. The wild animals are the part of Africa that makes it seem like a dream, so we were all very excited to be on our way to Addo Elephant National Park. 

The drive was about an hour long and I couldn't stop staring at the sea of trash along the road. Like most cities, there are well-developed areas, and underdeveloped areas. Parts of Port Elizabeth is covered in litter. My mind started racing with questions and connections:
How can this be? What about the animals? Is this a focus for the upcoming election? Does this current president care? How can any child grow and succeed in these conditions? How is this Africa? How can we change behaviors?

The thoughts spiraled as we pulled into the National Forest. Vibrant shades of green protected us from the pollution outside. Our safari began. The team took pictures of ostriches, elephants, warthogs, and buffalo. These animals are free in the wild, and even provided with clean water during this dry year that South Africa is facing. I understand that the conservation of these peaceful creatures is very important, and that any pollution or changing climates is the fault of humans, but what is Port Elizabeth doing to help the citizens?

In order for people to begin to care about their surroundings, they need to feel cared for. The current president, Jacob Zuma, has been taking money from the government to build on to his over the top, personal home. The people I have talked to in Port Elizabeth do not trust any potential President at this point. If the government is not looking out to better this beautiful country, who is?

I can't help but think about my own country. Do we care about our environment? Do we care about the well-being of others? Are we in the same place as this young democracy?

Fortunately, I was able to get away from these deep thoughts for a few hours, as we went to a game park. ;) Here, we were able to get close to giraffes, rhinos, wildebeests, and cheetahs. 

Our tour guide introduced us to a new game. We had to see who can spit an "object" the furthest. It just so happens that the said object was impala dung! Anyone who knows me, knows I have a weak stomach, but the rules were clear from the beginning: If you agree to play without knowledge of the game, you must play- even when you hear what the task is. I thought this was going to be the most interesting part of my day...

The last stop was the cheetah enclosure. The guide spent ten minutes telling us about the wild cat and how they love to hunt, but that there was nothing to worry about while we were taking pictures of the six cats. The team was ready to go back to the office when we learned that the car was having issues and would not start. A few unsuccessful attempts later, another truck was called in to rescue us. Safety was close, until two cheetahs approached the trucks and began to torment us. The rescue vehicle was stuck against the other truck and the dominant cheetah was standing against the hood, staring into our eyes. Just as I surrendered to the idea of becoming catnip, we were finally free and out of the enclosure. 

Reflecting on today, I realized that I need to give more, empathize more, and pay attention to the lessons around me.


**I will post pictures when my wifi is stronger!

1 comment:

  1. The only thing that saved you from being eaten by a cheetah was the impala dung in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete