Sunday, August 7, 2016

"The only thing you have to fear is fear itself."

This is where we are staying. It is beautiful. We live two blocks away from the ocean, and next door to a boardwalk. We walk to dinner every night, shop at markets, go to the movies, and grab a cup of coffee at our favorite coffee house on a regular basis.

The houses around this neighborhood are just as beautiful, I assume. It's hard to tell because all of the houses and guesthouses, like the one I am staying in, are surrounded by 9 ft concrete walls with electric wires.


We were all warned to use the buddy system, not to carry too much cash and to be aware of our surroundings. I have followed all of these rules, but I have not ever felt like I have been in danger. Maybe it's because I've taken all the precautions or maybe this isn't anymore dangerous than walking around a city in America.

I think walls are built because of fear, and also because it's a natural process when moving into a community with cinder block walls. 
I think violence is because of fear of being the minority. 
 I think fear is keeping us from building a new community.

No comments:

Post a Comment